Here’s what I’m bringing to the table:
25 years of book publishing experience! I have worked on fiction (in every genre), memoir, narrative non-fiction, cookbooks, children’s, young adult… you name it. And I’ve come to know exactly what works and what doesn’t.
Over those 25 years, I have worked in all three sectors of the industry (Well, except being an author, I leave that to the professionals )
First, I worked at Random House as the Director of Advertising and Promotion. I was involved in jacket design meetings, acquisition meetings, marketing meetings, sales meetings, publicity meetings (there were a lot of meetings!) so I know how each of these processes work. I enjoyed working on many bestselling titles, and worked hard to bring many authors from obscurity to success.
Then, when I worked at an Independent Bookseller for five years, I learned the most valuable lesson of all: how to sell a book to a reader. I also learned a lot of guerilla marketing techniques that really help new writers get noticed initially. There is real value in making a connection with readers through signings, internet outreach, skyping with reading groups, etc.
And as an agent, now for ten years, I have sold projects and worked with all of the “big six” (well, now “big five”) U.S. publishers, as well as many small and independent presses. I’ve got a pretty good sense of what publishers are looking for! I have also helped clients navigate the complicated self publishing world. You can get a sense of my agency here: www.ZimmermannLiterary.com
As much as I enjoy the agenting aspect of my work, I particularly enjoy being a resource for people. I am truly bringing you a wealth of insider book publishing information, from every angle of the business, with this video course!
Here’s what you will learn in this course:
- How important you writers are to the whole process.
- How to really take a good hard look at your content and make sure you are ready for the next step of approaching the publishing world, and whether or not you should hire an editor during this step.
- How to write a great synopsis. Actually, there are three versions, and all are explained in detail.
- How to make sure your author biography is on point and meaningful to your goals.
- How to define your audience, find them, and market successfully to them.
- The pros and cons of both self publishing and traditional publishing, an essential block of information so you can move in the direction that’s right for YOU. I debunk a lot of myths surrounding self publishing.
- Everything you need to know about traditional publishing:
- How to find an agent, and a complete list of websites to help you research them.
- How to write a BANG UP query letter (samples included).
- All of the no-no’s to avoid when approaching agents.
- Exactly what the heck goes ON at publishing houses.
- Everything you need to know about self publishing:
- How to compete successfully in the marketplace, with a reputable source listing of jacket designers, editors, marketing consultants, publicity consultants, formatting services, and website designers.
- A complete blow-by-blow tutorial on how to write a non-fiction book proposal.
- And much much more!